Saturday, August 2, 2008

How Starbucks Saved My Life



I am a huge nerd - my husband reminds me of that every other Tuesday when I drag him with me to the library. I always have and probably always will love to read. When I was little, my mom would take us to the mall just about every Saturday. I would always find a book at the bookstore and would usually have the entire thing read by the time we got home. My mom was impressed, but made me re-read that same book over and over again until our next trip to the mall.

As I grew up, I spent loads of money at Barnes & Noble, Lifeway, and Family Christian on books. I have Rubbermaid boxes full of books even after lending out (which I guess turned in to giving out) over half of my collection over the years.

Luckily for John, Peachtree City has a great library system that is just down the street from our house. They have a pretty decent selection of books - including up to date Christian books - and I look forward to searching through the aisles of books every other week.

Last week, after we saw Batman, John was kind enough to remember that it was time for my bi-weekly trip to the library. As soon as we walked in, I was drawn to a book on the "New to the Library" shelf. It was called "How Starbucks Saved My Life." I started reading it that night and wanted to spend all of my free time reading it - and here is why...

If you view Starbucks as a part of your life - meaning that you have memories connected to your time spent there or even a drink that you indulged in - then you will totally love this book. I don't want to give the whole story away, but for those of us who know the difference between coffee and Starbucks Coffee, this book explains all of the reasons why Starbucks is not just another coffee shop. If you are a reader and a lover of exceptional writing, then you should pick up a copy of this book. Be warned - there are a few swears in the book - but they do not add to nor will they take away from your experience.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

We have something more in common--I LOVE books, too!
However, Starbucks and I aren't related.